Under our Wildlife Habitat Management Plan, we work to conserve and enhance wildlife habitat within the borders of the Priest Rapids Project area by:
- Restoring, maintaining, or improving ecological quality and diversity
- Restoring, maintaining, or increasing habitat for key indicator wildlife species
- Providing for public use compatible with the ecological quality, diversity and identified habitats for key wildlife species.
We plan to install, monitor and maintain 12 raptor nesting, roosting and perching structures. Currently, we have nine man-made perch and roosting poles within the Priest Rapids Project. Additionally, 23 areas are identified for riparian planting efforts intended to provide additional perch and roosting trees for eagles and other raptors within the project. We selected wind-protected, shallow-sloped alluvial areas that enter the Columbia River and should be capable of supporting black cottonwood or ponderosa pine. We will protect these areas from beaver damage with measures including relocation and tree wrapping.
We are preparing to install, maintain and monitor 48 wood duck nest boxes and 50 waterfowl nesting platforms (40 mallard nest baskets and 10 goose nesting tubs) around the Priest Rapids Project shorelines. Each spring, our biologists monitor and maintain these structures to enhance waterfowl nesting within the Priest Rapids Project.
|Bald Eagle||Rocky Mountain Elk|
|California Bighorn Sheep||Rocky Mountain Mule Deer|
|Common Loon||Ring-necked Pheasant|
Identified areas for intensive wildlife habitat improvement efforts:
- Buckshot Wildlife Area
- Burkett Lake
These areas were chosen due to their potential to provide:
- Improved ecological quality and diversity
- Increased habitat for wildlife species that act as indicators of the health of wildlife populations
- Opportunities for public use that is compatible with the ecological quality, diversity and identified habitat for key wildlife species.
Click here to locate identified areas on Recreation Map.
Recreate Responsibly poster available for download.